Aggregating Towards Signal or Noise?



The hyper-connected users like me have been promised some new toys to make our lives simpler lately.

From Yahoo's OneConnect to PageOnce, Alltop, Twine, SignOn are all promising simplicity by aggregation.

Being an avid user of tools like iGoogle, Google Reader, and even a little app called Orgoo I'd helped design, I like the idea of being able to manage all my connections from one place. But are they really simplifying the info overload my attention span is bombarded with everyday?

Bringing all my news items, social streams, identities, contacts and more together can be a cool thing. But does that really help us understand the insights that drive our decisions, enable us to trust each other, help one another or be productive in society and the marketplace?

I'm not so sure.

More in one place is still MORE than ever to deal with. Growing Bacn on my startpage aside, the real questions about why we do what we do seem to go unanswered. Do we trust by volume of ratings or by people whose opinion we value? Do we act based on past behavior, or our present understanding of the context?

These are just some of the fundamentals we may want to revisit before investing energy in next killer "aggregator" app? What do you think?

2 Responses to “Aggregating Towards Signal or Noise?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I've been searching for the best aggregator of this type for some time. I've recently been experimenting with FriendFeed, and someone else recommended Onxiam. I'm going to take a look at PageOnce. There is certainly a need out there.

    Does it "...help us understand the insights that drive our decisions, enable us to trust each other..." I don't know, but it sure helps organize things.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 GROW |